But take note - neither TestDisk nor PhotoRec have any graphic interface, so you'll need to carry out all operations through Terminal. Consult the program's user guide if you need help learning how to do it.
TestDisk is compatible with a large amount of file systems, among those that belong to Mac OS X: HFS, HFS and HFSX, although in that case you'll only be able to recover the structure of the partitions. If you run it over FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, or NTFS, it will also be able to restore the master boot sector.
PhotoRec is the tool that takes care of the recovery of files. It can work with pretty much any device, from hard drives to USB drives, memory cards, and multimedia players.
TestDisk will copy the selected files to the folder where it is running from. Once all the selected files are copied, you will see a 'Copy Done!' Message on the screen. 2 How to Use TestDisk On Mac. The process to use TestDisk to recover deleted files on Mac is quite. Download TestDisk & PhotoRec. TestDisk is a free and open source data recovery software tool designed to recover lost partition and unerase deleted files. PhotoRec is a file carver data recovery software tool. Download testdisk y photorec mac, testdisk y photorec mac, testdisk y photorec mac download gratis. TestDisk will copy the selected files to the folder where it is running from. Once all the selected files are copied, you will see a 'Copy Done!' Message on the screen. 2 How to Use TestDisk On Mac. The process to use TestDisk to recover deleted files on Mac is quite similar to the process on Windows with few differences. Download the latest version of TestDisk for Windows. Checks and repairs errors on your PC. Do you have errors in your HD? TestDisk will be your best partner.
By Adela D. Louie, Last updated: August 26, 2020
Losing your data on your device is one of the most common issues that most people have. This could happen because of a virus attack, a system crash, an accidental deletion, or a hardware problem. But luckily, there are ways on how you can recover those deleted data from your device.
And when it comes to recovering your lost data, the TestDisk tool is known to be one of the most popular recovery tools. However, this tool is a bit complicated for those who are beginners in using this tool. That is why in this post, we are going to show you how to use TestDisk.
Part 1: What is TestDisk and What Does it Do?
TestDisk is known as a recovery tool that will help its users to get back those deleted data, those lost partition, and as well as to have those un-booting disks turned to bootable disk again. And the TestDisk tool can be used on a Windows or a Mac computer.
Part 2: How to Use TestDisk for Windows Computer (Windows 7/8/10)
Being able to use the TestDisk for you to recover deleted files on your Windows computer can seem to have a very long process. But, if you are going to follow the instructions step by step. And with that, here is how to use TestDisk on your Windows computer.
Step 1: Download and Install TestDisk and Run it On PC
Go ahead and run the TestDisk program on your PC. And once that it is up and running, press on the Enter button.
Step 2: Scan Your Computer
Then, go ahead and choose the Create option and then press on the Enter button. The TestDisk program will then start to scan for any connected hard drives that you have.
Step 3: Select the Hard Drive
After that, you will be able to see a list of hard drives on your screen. From here, you can simply use the arrow keys for you to choose the hard drive that you select to scan. And then press on the Enter button.
Step 4: Choose Partition
Then, go ahead and select the partition table and then move forward by pressing Enter.
Step 5: Analyze Your PC
Then next is you have to click on Analyze and then press the Enter button. The TestDisk program will then begin to analyze the hard drive that you have chosen earlier.
Step 6: Use Quick Search
And once that the analyzation is done, go ahead and make use of the Quick Search for you to be able to scan your drive.
Step 7: Copy Files to Recover
From here, you will then be able to see all of the files that have been deleted or lost. From that list, go ahead and go to the folder or the files that you want to get back and then press on the C button for you to copy them.
Step 8: Get Your Files Back
After that, simply select the location of the folder for your copied files and then press the Y key for you to begin the process. The TestDisk program will copy all of the files that you have chosen to the folder that you have selected. After the whole process is complete, there is a Copy Done message that will show up on your screen.
Part 3: How to Use TestDisk for Mac
The method on how to use TestDisk on a Mac computer is somewhat similar to a Windows computer. But of course, there are things done differently. So, for you to know how to use TestDisk on a Mac computer, here is what you need to follow.
- Step 1: Go ahead and open the Terminal program on your Mac computer.
- Step 2: Then from the Terminal program, key in Sudo TestDisk for you to recover your deleted files on your hard drive. And after that, press the Enter button.
- Step 3: After that, go ahead and select No Log and then press the Enter button again for you to proceed.
- Step 4: Then after that, you will be able to see a list of hard drives that are connected to your computer. From that list, select the hard drive where you want to recover your files using TestDisk and then press Enter. Also, you can go ahead and select the partition where you want to scan. Then press the P key.
- Step 5: After that, go ahead and select EFI GT if you have the recent Apple Mac or choose Mac if you currently have the old PPC Mac. Then go ahead and press Enter key.
- Step 6: And then, choose Analyze and then press the Enter button. And then make a Quick Search.
- Step 7: And after the scanning process, you will then be able to see a set of deleted or lost files on your screen. From there, you can simply check for the files and folder using the arrow keys on your keyboard. You can choose the folders or the files that you would want to get back and then press on the C button. From here, you need to copy the folders or the files that you want one by one.
- Step 8: Once that you press the C button for you to copy the files or folder, the TestDisk program will then ask you to choose the desired location. From there, you can now choose the folder you want for you to be able to preview your files. And once that the copying process has eaten a lot of time, then you can simply close the TestDisk program by simply hitting on the “Q” button.
Part 4: Conclusion
Download Testdisk 7.1
The TestDisk tool as you can see is not that complicated to use as long as you follow the instructions carefully. Simple, yet an effective way for you to recover those deleted files on your Mac or Windows computer.
Download Testdisk Recovery
The TestDisk tool may seem a bit complicated to use at first especially if it is the first you are using it. However, once you get the hand of using this tool, everything will be easy for you to handle.
Data RecoveryRecover deleted image, document, audio and more files.Get deleted data back from computer (including Recycle Bin) and hard drives.Recover loss data caused by disk accident, operation system crushes and other reasons.